Lutefisk Dinner and fond memories

Well, well, well.... It seems my Grand-Uncle (I believe that term is correct. He's my Oma's(Grandmother's) sister's, husband....I call him Unlce John. Anyways, he invited me again this year to go to the annual 'lutefisk' dinner, that he goes to every year. He is after all very Norwegian. The lutefisk dinner is always hosted by this darling Lutheran church somewhere up North in Wisconsin. In our family is a great honour to be invited. Last year was my first year, and we went with the usual party consisting of; Uncle John, Unlce Ed (My Godfather, and my father's sister's husband), my father, and some guy named Claude who the family knows....I've known him all my life but never really knew him....if that makes any sense. He must know Uncle John real well. By the way, Uncle John is a concert violinist and his wife (My Oma's sister) is a very very good pianist....She's been studying her whole life. They live in Highland Park Illinios--near Chicago. Anyways, I find myself losing my thoughts again....ah yes, so my Uncle John, Uncle Ed, Claude Taylor, my father and myself went last year. We arrived at this beautiful Lutheran church in the midst of the beautiful fall colours. When we arrive Uncle John breaks out his bottle of Akvavit -- a Norwegian beverage with a kick. We all take shots of that (yes even me. (Like is said, this lutefisk dinner is a sort of "coming of age mark" in our family). Then Uncle John goes and checks us in at the door, and then we procede to the sanctuary where we wait for our table. We sit in the sancutary for about 15 minutes and then finally get our seat. I'm usually the youngest person there by the way. We are served the potatoes, the green beans, bricks of butter, some other delicious foods that I can't think of, and then *drums roll*.....the lutefisk comes out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

Anyways, so that is my plan for this Saturday...only my father won't be able to clear his schedule and go this year (his first years missing in like 30 years). But I do look forward to the fond memories I will build with my two uncles, and a guy named Claude at this years Lutefisk Dinner!


20th post!!!


-Carpenter,

To God Be the Glory,



8:46 AM on the 15th of October in The Year of Our Lord 2008.

No comments: